Wednesday, August 4, 2010

An interview with Sarah Sollom



Q – Could you introduce yourself briefly to the readers?

A former teacher of languages, then an illustrator and writer of educational materials. I have developed my art in recent years.


Sunrise shanty - Painting by Sarah Sollom


Q - How did you become interested in art?

Watching my mother painting.

Q - What inspires you most as an artist? Where do I begin?

Apart from beautiful skies, the sea, city skylines and places I visit, I love intriguing objects, dilapidated buildings, old windows and doors and resourceful people going about their daily lives.

Q - What is your favourite medium or media? Why?

I love both acrylics and collage as I can add textures, special effects and fragments of scripts.

Q - Could you tell us some more about your work?

I am constantly experimenting with different techniques and subject matter. I have painted a lot of stylised animals, mainly elongated, decorated elephants. I have also done many collages of makeshift buildings and shanty towns which have proved very popular and led to numerous commissions. I like a picture that tells a story.

Jiangsu waterside dwelling - Painting by Sarah Sollom


Q - How would you define your style?

Quirky, very diverse and I believe unique. No ‘polite’ local landscapes or vases of flowers for me!

Q - What are your influences; artists from the past or present who inspire you?

I love art that shows people and how they live (or lived in various periods of history) – not portraits or posed-for pictures but ordinary working people, as painted by some of the impressionists and many other artists of the past.

Q - How do you choose the subjects of your works?

Pleasing shapes, things that make me smile – objects that intrigue me, scenes that ask me questions, e.g. Who used to live here? Scenes that show resourcefulness and the human spirit, often in adversity.

Q- How do you prepare yourself for an exhibition or a show like the Open Studios?

I produce things that are always popular – my shanty towns never stay around for long! I also like to put in some new, experimental stuff.

Q - Are there territories (media, subjects, etc.) you want to explore in the coming years?

Cities with wonderful buildings for skylines in experimental colours.

Q - As an artist, what would be your dream?

To own my own gallery with a coffee shop.


Q - Could you share one thing that you have learnt in your own art practice that would be useful to other artists?

Always be true to yourself and paint from the heart. It will shine through in your work.


To see more of Sarah's work, make sure you visit her website: www.sandsollom.com

No comments:

Post a Comment