Wednesday, August 11, 2010

An interview with Esme Wheatley


Q – Could you introduce yourself briefly to the readers?

My name is Esme Wheatley, I have lived in the area for 20 years. I am a mother of two daughters, Alexandra and Freya and I am married to Shaun.

Q - How did you become interested in art?

Since early on at school, I have always been interested in all creative areas.




Q - What inspires you most as an artist?

I am inspired by everyday objects and the desire to creative something I would love around me or my home.

Q - What is your favourite medium or media? Why?

I love working with a sewing machine and fabric. The colours and effects that can be created are endless.

Q - Could you tell us some more about your work?

My work involves creating pictures using recycled fabric with accents to enhance the design using polymer clay. I also use polymer clay to design small pieces of jewellery and accessories.

Q - How would you define your style?

Modern with a hint of vintage.



Q - What are your influences; artists from the past or present who inspire you?

My influences are not from specific artists but from everyday items and images.

Q - How do you choose the subjects of your works?

I sketch everyday items first then see if I can then recreate that with fabric or clay.

Q- How do you prepare yourself for an exhibition or a show like the Open Studios?

This is my first time at such an event and I have never shown my art before so it will be a whole new experience.

Q - Are there territories (media, subjects, etc.) you want to explore in the coming years?

I have over the years tried different mediums such us cake making and decorating, reupholstering so I am always open to new ideas.

Q - As an artist, what would be your dream?

For people to love the items I create.

Q - Could you share one thing that you have learnt in your own art practice that would be useful to other artists?

As this is all new to me, I am hoping other people will be able to share their experiences with me.



Check Esme's website to see more of her works.

No comments:

Post a Comment