Friday, August 13, 2010

An interview with Gordon Dickinson


Q – Could you introduce yourself briefly to the readers?

I am Gordon Dickinson a self taught artist.

I paint, sculpt, film and photograph.

I am Swindon born, serving an apprenticeship in Swindon rail workshops as a coach builder.

I run a participary art company, called No Added Sugar, with my wife Antoinette.


Naughty Boid - Steel sculpture by Gordon Dickinson


Q - How did you become interested in art?

I can’t really say how or when I began taking an interest in art, it just started to happen, and grew like a lichen until I became completely covered.

Q - What inspires you most as an artist?

My recent work has been mainly sculptural and is based on nature and wildlife.

Q - Could you tell us some more about your work?

This year I have exhibited at sculpture shows in Henly, Devon, Norfolk, Tetbury, Cirencester, Cotswold Water Park and the RHS show Tatton Park.

Shows booked for the rest of 2010 include Walcot Chapel, Bath, Cotswold Water Park and Kent

I am currently working on two large scale commissions for two new Swindon schools.

I have tried to listen to my heart and not my head and take my work to somewhere we haven’t visited before.

I enjoy a challenge and like to push myself beyond my comfort zone.

Q - How would you define your style?

I would describe my style as traditionally contemporary.


Perch - Steel sculpture by Gordon Dickinson


Q - What are your influences; artists from the past or present who inspire you?

Artists I like …. Louise Bourgeois, David Hockney, Picasso, Antony Gormley, Poly Morgan, Adam Crossland and many more.

Q - How do you choose the subjects of your works?

I never plan too far ahead, most of my ideas are spontaneous, I need to carry them out as soon as possible or they get left behind.

Q- How do you prepare yourself for an exhibition or a show like the Open Studios?

I leave it until the last minute, then just go for it.

Q - Are there territories (media, subjects, etc.) you want to explore in the coming years?

I would love to try all things, but in particular stone carving, casting and silver work

I would love the time and space to work on lost ideas.

Q - As an artist, what would be your dream?

My dream would be to be to continue doing what I am doing now but with a bit more money.

Q - Could you share one thing that you have learnt in your own art practice that would be useful to other artists?

My snippet of wisdom would be “Don’t just talk about it”.


Please visit Gordon Dickinson's website, Pavenhill Sculptures, to see more of his sculptures.


No comments:

Post a Comment