Tuesday, September 7, 2010

An interview with Sarah-Jayne Dixon


Q – Could you introduce yourself briefly to the readers?

Hello my name is Sarah-Jayne Dixon, I’m a local artist and one half of Pop Art Profile.


Jimi Page


Q - How did you become interested in art?

Can’t really say a definite age or time, as I have always been interested in art in all its various forms. I can definitely say that my tastes have evolved over the years into what I create now.

Q - What inspires you most as an artist?

Wow…pretty much anything I find interesting, this can be film, tattoos, literature, illustration, comics, pretty much anything I absorb, but I would say music is a huge inspiration to me (I know it’s a huge cliché).

Q - What is your favourite medium or media? Why?

I work mainly with acrylic and spray paint as both mediums have a permanence and immediacy to them. I like the fact that there is not a lot of margin for error, and you can work quite quickly too. I like to constantly create something new.

Q - Could you tell us some more about your work?

The paintings I create for Pop Art Profile came about as my partner Martin Lambourne (the other half of PAP) and I were looking for commercial art for our home. Everything we loved was way out of our price range so Martin suggested that we create our own artwork. Other people liked what we did and they commissioned pieces for themselves. That’s when we decided to sell to the public at prices we could afford ourselves. Our ethos is EVERYONE should be able to afford great quality art.

Karren O print


Q - How would you define your style?

Modern Pop Art with a twist.


Q - What are your influences; artists from the past or present who inspire you?

There are so many, here’s just a few (not all visual)…Shawn Barber, Barbara Hepworth, Philip K. Dick, Grace Jones, Glen Fabry, Dolly Parton, Charles Bukowski, Bob Dylan, The Smiths…


Q - How do you choose the subjects of your works?

Popular culture icons, people who are talented or celebrated for whatever reason. I try to bring out their individual persona with colour, pattern, posture and line.


Q- How do you prepare yourself for an exhibition or a show like the Open Studios?

Get messy and paint, paint, paint.

Q - Are there territories (media, subjects, etc.) you want to explore in the coming years?

I love doing what I do for Pop Art Profile, but would like to expand my skills by learning how to tattoo portraiture. What could be more satisfying than creating a very permanent piece of art.

Q - As an artist, what would be your dream?

That’s a big question…to be able to live off my artwork, and to bring beauty into peoples homes and lives.


Q - Could you share one thing that you have learnt in your own art practice that would be useful to other artists?

Notoriety and success as an artist becomes less important the more successful your relationships are. Concentrate on the special people around you, once you have love in your life everything else shall fall into place…promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment